A payment held on PayPal means that the platform has not yet made immediate withdrawal available. This commonly happens as a security measure to resolve potential unforeseen events that may occur after purchase, such as chargebacks or disputes.
Why does PayPal hold a payment?
There are several reasons why a payment might get stuck with PayPal. Among them, the most common justifications are:
- The payment received by the seller may be considered unusual for the pattern of sale;
- Accounts inactive for some time;
- Unusual change in the selling price of a transaction;
- Sale of products that generated dissatisfaction in customers.
In the cases mentioned above, PayPal guarantees permission to withdraw the money only when concluding that the buyer has received the product under the conditions promised by the seller. If there is no problem with your account or with the sale, such as opening a dispute by your customer, the payment must be released within 21 days.
How to access payment faster
If you are sure that there are no problems with your sale and you want to receive the money before the deadline established by PayPal, you can follow one of the tips below to anticipate the release of the payment:
- Add tracks by one of PayPal’s approved carriers and the hold will be released 1 day after delivery;
- Update the order status if the payment held is for an intangible product or service, such as an online class or ebook, to receive a payment within 7 days.
If there is no way to follow one of these steps, it is necessary to wait for the 21-day period – as long as there is no problem with your account or with the sale.
How to add tracking information
One of the ways to anticipate the withdrawal of funds from a sale is to add product tracking information. Check out:
- In the PayPal application, go to “Activities”;
- Locate the sale you want to update and tap “Get your resources”;
- If you sold a product, select “Product” and add tracking data or print the shipping label;
- If you sold an intangible product or service, select it to confirm the order status;
- Tap “Send”.
Ready! In this way, you ensure that PayPal advances the payment of a sale to your account.
More from us: