It is common to need a recovery code on Instagram to be able to access your profile on the platform. The feature is a security method that works in conjunction with two-factor authentication to protect your account.
You can request a code to be sent every time you experience a problem logging into the social network – changing cell phones, leaking passwords, or if someone tries to access the account improperly. Learn below how to generate a recovery code on Instagram using the web version and also the apps for Android and iPhone (iOS).
What is Instagram recovery code?
As with Facebook, Instagram allows you to generate recovery codes for you to access your service account on other devices that do not yet have your login. By default, login will require two-factor authentication first. If it doesn’t work, then you can use one of the codes provided by the platform.
The code is sent via text message (SMS), via WhatsApp, or through a third-party authentication app such as Google Authenticator. Also, you can save a list of available random codes in your Instagram account security settings.
How to generate recovery codes on Instagram
You can create or access the list of recovery codes at any time. However, you need to be logged into your Instagram account to view these codes or get a new list. If for some reason you are unable to log in, you will need to recover your Instagram account.
Also, remember that Instagram recovery codes are only available if you have already activated two-step authentication on the platform. Once this is done, follow the steps in the tutorials.
- Access Instagram Web (instagram.com) in the browser;
- Click on “More” in the lower left corner and go to “Settings”;
- Click on “Privacy and Security”;
- Under “Two-Factor Authentication”, click on “Edit Two-Factor Authentication Setting”;
- Select “Get Booking Codes”;
- If you want to generate new codes, click on “Receive new codes”.
- Open the Instagram app on your Android or iPhone phone;
- Log in to your profile and tap the three-line icon in the upper-right corner. Go to “Settings”;
- Enter “Security”;
- Tap on “Two-Factor Authentication”;
- Tap on “Additional Methods”;
- Go to “Booking codes”.
When the codes appear on the screen, copy the numbers to the clipboard and paste them into a document to save on a PC or mobile phone. You can also take screenshots and save them in a secure folder. Don’t forget to keep the codes in a safe place, so you can access the Instagram account using one of the numerical sequences.
Both on the computer and on the cell phone, five different codes are generated at a time. You can only use one code at a time and only once, as codes are useless after the first use.
More from us: